Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Logan considers easing way for frequent fliers

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:34:41 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Dr. James J. O'Donnell" <provost () georgetown edu>
Date: September 28, 2005 9:50:39 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Logan considers easing way for frequent fliers

Dave,

We've seen these discussions of fast lanes for several years now.  Could
we ask the cost-benefit question?  (1) What would it cost to create this
system?  (2) If it's really for people who fly once a week or more, how
great is the benefit and is this really only for a tiny elite?  (3) Just
how bad is it going through security now?  I fly 100K a year, through
pretty busy airports (most regularly Dulles, National, Laguardia, O'Hare,
SFO), and I have to say that I've adjusted to the basic hassles (laptop
out, shoes off, jacket off) and the time-through-security is *not* a real
problem at this point.  Among other things, I think it is the regular
fliers who have their personal drill down so they *don't* trigger extra
searches.  (They're pulling bags over when they spot folding umbrellas
now: ok, dumb, but I get it, so the umbrella travels visible now and it's
part of my drill.)

So:  is this a problem that has solved itself *sufficiently* (to say 90%
of optimum) that it's not worth putting resources into solving further?
I'm not saying I like any of the extra layers that have been put on the
system or that I agree that they are necessary: I'm just asking the "how
big is this problem *really*" question.

Jim O'Donnell
Georgetown U.