Interesting People mailing list archives

Try coding this in a 4KB ROM!

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 15:39:03 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Harry Saal <Harry () saal org>
Date: September 29, 2005 1:33:35 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Try coding this in a 4KB ROM!

Didn't BillG get his start writing a BASIC interpreter?
Full article at http://www.techweb.com/showArticle.jhtml? articleId=171201457

Microsoft has signed on to promote a new programming language intended to replace BASIC as the first step students take towards learning how to code. The Kid's Programming Language, or KPL, was developed under the direction of Jonah Stagner, and his colleagues, ex-Microsoft program manager Jon Schwartz and former NCR engineer Walt Morrison. The three run the software consultancy Morrison-Schwartz Inc.

Indeed, KPL's affinity for .NET, and the fact that it runs only on Windows, may be the big reason Microsoft is supporting the new language. "Microsoft's major interest is, they want to bring another generation of talented programmers to the world," said Morrison. "And they want them using their platforms. It makes sense to us, too. We believe in the .NET environment. We've been using it for the last four years and that's where we want our kids to go."