Interesting People mailing list archives

Goal of journalism should be to speak to citizens

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 15:22:31 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ronda Hauben <ronda () panix com>
Date: April 17, 2006 1:45:30 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Ronda Hauben <ronda () panix com>
Subject: Goal of journalism should be to speak to citizens

Hi Dave

There was a wonderful panel at Columbia U on Friday about the nature of journalism. I wrote an article summarizing the panel for OhmyNews that I thought folks on IP would find of interest.

Business Wrong Model for Journalism
Goal of journalism should be to speak to citizens
http://english.ohmynews.com/articleview/article_view.asp? article_class=5&no=2862
31&rel_no=1

It include Charles Glass, Seymour Hersh, Robert Fisk and John Pilger.

"The last speaker on the panel was Seymour Hersh. He described how people in the U.S. are stuck in a unique situation with their president. While part of the problem is that when someone writes good stuff, they can't get it in the press, he saw the American crisis as the collapse of all institutions. This included journalism, the Congress, the federal bureaucracy, and the military. "Constitutional government in the U.S. is in trouble," explained Hersh. He proposed that instead of seeking a constitutional amendment on abortion, there is a need for a constitutional amendment for a Parliamentary government so there could be snap elections. The audience applauded this suggestion."

Hopefully there will be a video available on Columgia's web site of the whole panel discussion later in the week.

Ronda