Interesting People mailing list archives

Maker Faire in San Mateo April 22-23

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 04:58:09 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Tim O'Reilly" <tim () oreilly com>
Date: April 8, 2006 10:44:04 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Maker Faire in San Mateo April 22-23

Dave -- don't know if this is appropriate for IP because it's a California local event, but I know you run Dennis Allison's lecture announcements at Stanford, so I thought I'd pass this along.

Maker Faire is coming up April 22-23 at the San Mateo Fairgrounds. It is part science fair, part craft fair, part county fair, with a dash of burning man for good measure. It's a spinoff of our Make: magazine, which Steven Levy of Newsweek described as "Martha Stewart for Geeks" -- a DIY technology projects magazine akin to the old Popular Mechanics of the 50's, but updated for the digital era.

We are absolutely blown away by the people and attractions we will have at the Faire: a flying Pterosaur replica, a flock of whale blimps, a giant painting machine, DIY RFID implants, model rocketry, breadboarding, trailer-glass blowing, The Crucible's welding workshops off the back of fire truck, pinhole photography, soldering, spud gun building, bubble machines and a bubble guy that appeared on Johnny Carson in the 70's, Bunnie Huang, Joe Grand, William Gurstelle and his Backyard Ballistics, The Exploratorium, Zeum, The Lunar Society (rocket builders), Graffiti Research Lab, Squid Labs biodiesel, electric cars, a Linux supercomputer cluster running on veggie oil, neon art, circuit bending, VJs, slide rules, pinball restoration, the Phenomenauts, Satan's Calliope .... and much, much more. Quite an eclectic collection. That's not to mention Diana Eng of Bravo's Project Runway and the fifty craft booths in Bizarre Bazaar and the Swap-o-Rama-Rama.

CNN, NPR Science Friday's Ira Flatow, KPIX TV , Discover Magazine, CBS News, The Discovery Channel, New York Times, Kevin Rose of Digg and digg.com and CNET will be covering the event. It's designed to be a family event (admission is only $12), and we're hoping to attract tens of thousands of people to celebrate the fun of science and engineering and by sharing the amazing work being done in backyards, garages, and homebrew labs. http://www.makezine.com/faire has more information.

For those of you not in California, people will be blogging the heck out of this thing, and there's a Make photo pool on Flickr as well, so you should be able to get a taste of the action.

Tim O'Reilly, Founder & CEO, O'Reilly Media,
1005 Gravenstein Highway N., Sebastopol, CA 95472
+1-707-827-7150 http://tim.oreilly.com