Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Survey on putting electronics in checked airline baggage

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 09:45:15 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Edward Almasy <ealmasy () axisdata com>
Date: August 15, 2006 9:34:20 AM EDT
To: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Cc: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Survey on putting electronics in checked airline baggage

On Aug 11, 2006, at 10:53 AM, Lauren Weinstein wrote:
I'm conducting a little unscientific survey on whether or not airline
passengers are willing to place their expensive or important
electronic equipment in airline checked baggage (whether "locked" or
not, but on most flights unlocked will be required), and how this
would affect their flying patterns.

   It may be interesting to note that as of Sunday,
   when I was flying home from Rochester, Northwest
   was still specifically instructing passengers at
   checkin to *not* put computer equipment, cameras,
   etc in checked baggage, presumably because of the
   likelihood of damage or theft.  (They explicitly
   disclaim liability for damage or loss on those items
   and many others in their Contract of Carriage.)

   Ed