Interesting People mailing list archives

The Odds -- Re: Dell & Apple recall ..

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 17:15:19 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "RJR RJRiley.com" <RJR () RJRILEY com>
Date: August 24, 2006 4:56:57 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: The Odds -- Re: Dell & Apple recall ..

Dave, for IP if you wish.

Average life cycle temperatures play a big role in when products fail. This is probably one reason that this problem is apparently more severe in Dell products. My understanding is that Dell charges the batteries at a higher
rate than other companies.  This means that failure rate increases as a
function of both the age of the battery and the total life cycle stress.
Older batteries will probably have a much higher likelihood of a
catastrophic failure.

When things go wrong it is the nature of corporate culture to first place the blame outside the company. In this case the goat is Sony. But is this all Sony's fault? Does the way Dell uses the batteries contribute to them failing? I think there is a high probability that Dell is culpable. Even if the whole problem was Sony's fault I think that Dell's handling of the
situation was at best poor.  According to media coverage of a whistle
blowing ex-employee Dell has known about this problem for a few years. That
is going to be very difficult for Dell to explain away.

There are many reasons to think that this issue is more about Dell's less than competent engineering skills than about Sony. It is simple, it appears that Sony batteries are used elsewhere without the scope of problems seen with Dell products. I did talk to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) a few weeks ago and they were pushing the manufacturing defect line. I think that Dell has lobbied CPSC and otherwise worked hard to shift blame and that CPSC has bought their arguments. But when contingency litigators
sue Dell all will be revealed during discovery.  Discovery is a very
powerful tool for getting at the truth.  I think that Dell is in serious
trouble.   And their trouble is as much caused by apparent attempts to
suppress this scandal as it is caused by their engineering oversights.

My corporate experience leads me to believe that fault goes all the way to the top at Dell. But experience also has taught me that when placing blame outside the company is no longer possible that some unfortunate person at
Dell will be made the scapegoat.  If and when Dell does this that person
will likely find a home as an expert witness for those who are extracting
retribution from Dell for their deficiencies.

I think it is very poor public policy for corporations to sit on information when there is risk of maiming or killing customers. This year or two delay
in coming clean is what bothers me the most.

Ronald J Riley, Exec. Dir.               Ronald J Riley, President
InventorEd, Inc. Professional Inventors Alliance

www.InventorEd.org                      www.PIAUSA.org
RJR"at"InvEd.org                           RJR"at"PIAUSA.org
Change "at" to @                           Change "at" to @

RJR Direct # (202) 318-1595