Interesting People mailing list archives

more on aka ipv6 Off-the-shelf home remote monitoring system (was Re: Man in Germany Foils Burglary in Brazil)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 06:33:49 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: December 15, 2006 11:37:12 PM JST
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Cc: "'Andrew C Burnette'" <acb () acb net>
Subject: RE: more on aka ipv6 Off-the-shelf home remote monitoring system (was Re: [IP] Man in Germany Foils Burglary in Brazil)

Alas V6 is not the answer. I used to be a strong advocate of v6 and it
still has value but it doesn't address the more fundamental problem of
forcing the IP address to act as both the name and the path. It can't -- so
we create the DNS as a stable database but then only lease the name thus
making it even worse.

And even if we fix all that you must be able to have any part of the
Internet act like the whole -- that is fundamental to edge-to-edge (since end-to-end all-to-often means womb-to-tomb and peer-to-peer typically manes bit-torrent-like). You can't depend on the backbone even existing let alone
being a provider of names -- that's a fatal dependency which is only
tolerable in today's prototype.

This is why I wrote http://www.frankston.com/?Name=OurInternet - I want to give a sense of how we can get real E2E by starting at the edge and not at
the center.

As to the problems of the NAT, I've come to accept the NAT -- Skype
demonstrates how one can make the NAT, in effect, disappear. Not perfectly
but for the most part one can take responsibility at the edge.

As to security, if we are truly E2E then as long as the path is encrypted (and we put aside traffic analysis for the moment though one can deal with that too) then we can take responsibility for security despite that NAT. If
packets go awry then they are lost but not interpretable.

Yes, NATs are a problem but only one of many that we have to be overcome.
Corporate firewalls are far bigger threat, especially when they fight
against E2E security while at the same time ensuring bubble baby
vulnerabilities.

But we don't have to accept NATs as-is -- if you do want V6 why not have
the NATs act as V6 routers? That would seem to be very much within the IETF scope. After all, a NAT is typically called a home router -- why not make
it a V6 friendly router including taking full advantage of V6 over V4 so
you can do V6 from the edge. V6 is not the answer but at least it is better
than putting @'s into SIP and Email addresses thus making the boundaries
too visible.

Don't forget you still need to make those V6 addresses known and stable. So
you either put it into the DNS (or a DDNS) or rely on a third party
home-brew DDNS. If those addresses are in the DNS then they are
discoverable and you have real security concerns.

One big feature of my "from the edge" approach using Crypto-GUIDs is that the names are only discoverable if you choose to make them and you can have
many and associate them with social topologies of your choice.