Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Digital method puts ad inside TV show

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 15:32:55 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [IP] Digital method puts ad inside TV show
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 12:06:54 -0800 (PST)
From: Karl Auerbach <karl () cavebear com>
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
<BFE7A8FD-AAED-4FF9-95AD-3C76A87E1134 () farber net>

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, David Farber wrote:

Digital method puts ad inside TV show

Unbeknownst to them, the image of Kellogg's Club Crackers had been
digitally painted onto the top of a coffee table after the scene was
filmed...

This sounds like the system that I've mentioned several times that I
called "dynamic product placement".  Since I'm not not active any more in
the IP/TV(tm) business anymore, and since I considered it fairly obvious,
I didn't bother to formalize any rights.  Sigh.

There are various levels.

At one end is the method of simply going into existing content, finding
existing objects, and replacing them with paid product placements.

At the other end is doing this right from the start - designing the movie
or show to have generic objects - perhaps in a special color (e.g.
green-screen color) or in digital productions the exact SMPTE and pixel
coordinates could be recorded as meta data.  Were I in the movie or TV
show business today I'd be creating such meta data alongside the show (as
well as meta data about scene cuts, character placement, word boundaries,
etc, etc all in anticipation of future reworking.)

The goal of this is to be able to tailor the presentation to each
particular viewer by doing last-second content modification either at the
system head end or in a set-top device.

(For example, one could modify a generic [Repo Man?] style can into a
branded beer or a Pepsi or whatever depending on who is paying for the
insertion and who is viewing.

And there are subtle tricks to really enhance the viewer's feeling of
being part of the show.  A fairly basic thing would be to morph a screen
actor's eyes in real time to react to a noise the viewer might make. Far
more complex would be to modify the actor to either sound like, or look
like someone else (e.g. inserting the viewer into a video - I can imagine
that the porn industry would like to have that ability.)

Ultimately we could image all movies and tv shows being created as
character objects and props with layered overlays that define motion,
sounds, and paint - a lot like Flash - that are bound to concrete images
at the last second depending on who is paying and who is watching.

If one wants integretity of content there is still live theatre.

(Speaking of live theatre - I invite everyone to join my wife and I in our
yearly summer gathering to attend performances at Shakespeare Santa Cruz.
This summer it will be King Lear, As You Like It, and Pygmalion.  And yes,
there is dynamic content modification - if you make a big noise the actors
will glare at you [or sit next to you and share your wine].)

                --karl--