Interesting People mailing list archives

US plans massive data sweep

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 11:19:57 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: [IP] US plans massive data sweep
Date:   Thu, 09 Feb 2006 10:14:52 -0600
From:   John Lyon <jelyon () mac com>
To:     dave () farber net

For IP if appropriate.

"Protecting our freedoms" and making sure we don't "get hit again" are two
different things. Even acknowledging the immense human cost of 9/11, I would
still suggest that 9/11 was only peripherally an attack on our "freedoms,"
and the outer periphery at that. Seems to me it was primarily an attack on
several high value targets - a limited economic attack, if you will,
designed also to spread fear.

An attack on "our freedoms" can really only come from inside our borders -
from our own government, or from a government put in place by victorious
foreign invaders.

On 2/9/06 5:43 AM, "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net> either wrote, forwarded
or quoted:

Starlight has already helped foil some terror plots, says Jim Thomas,
one of its developers and director of the government's new National
Visualization Analytics Center in Richland, Wash. He can't elaborate
because the cases are classified, he adds. But "there's no question that
the technology we've invented here at the lab has been used to protect
our freedoms - and that's pretty cool."

--
John Lyon
Austin TX