Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Time someone said this !!!! djf Getting Around: Updating traffic signals would save motorists time, fuel and money

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 15:05:08 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brad Templeton <4brad () templetons com>
Date: January 15, 2006 2:52:01 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Time someone said this !!!! djf Getting Around: Updating traffic signals would save motorists time, fuel and money

Dave, I worked out a way that we could solve the traffic light automation
problem and the wireless access problem at the same time.

Cities should make a deal with wireless mesh network companies.

The wireless providers get nice high poles at all the major intersections
on which to put their radios, with power.

The cities get to use some of the bandwidth for light control and
traffic-cams.   Everybody wins.

Now, it's worth noting it's not quite this simple. Due to all the regulations
involved, an automated traffic signal is expensive -- up to $150,000 per
intersection!  That's because it needs the road dug up to lay sensors,
and public-safety quality power installed. But technology is changing this.
New traffic lights are all LED based -- much lower power.   And sensor
technology is also improving to a point where you can avoid burying in
some cases.  (Though I am not keen to advocate cameras everywhere,
certainly.)