Interesting People mailing list archives

Yahoo IM "spoofing", "SPIM", and redirect

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 18:12:52 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Tracy Hall <tracy () broadbandphysics com>
Date: January 19, 2006 4:22:47 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Yahoo IM "spoofing", "SPIM", and redirect

You may have already seen something like this:

I just received an IM on Yahoo from a "ychat_violation_dept_yq4", claiming to be from Yahoo!, and claiming to have have received "...multiple reports of abuse...", and asking me to click on a link "...to avoid terminating your account...".

The link?  Starts off simple enough:

ht|p://in.rd.yahoo.com/in/fp/dir/

But in full :
ht|p://in.rd.yahoo.com/in/fp/dir/?ht|p://tjek.nu/7k

["|" sub'ed for "t" to make sure nothing turns them into active links]

In other words, using a "legitimate" yahoo address to re-direct to, well,
wherever-the-heck it redirected to.  I've tested that it does re-direct
by sub'ing my own URL for the "tjek.nu" one, and it does do so,
without any message, warning,  information or option.

'Course, I don't click *any* link without checking it six-ways-from- sunday,
but still...

Tracy Hall