Interesting People mailing list archives

WISPs Work Together

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 08:49:27 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: January 22, 2006 4:37:04 AM EST
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] WISPs Work Together

WISPs Work Together

One of the largest WISPs in the U.S. (absolutely the largest by some metrics) has a system in place for working with other WISPs to extend all parties' coverage areas.

by Alex Goldman
ISP-Planet Managing Editor
[January 20, 2006]
<http://www.isp-planet.com/fixed_wireless/business/2006/ skyweb_alliance.html> We've written about Fremont, Calif.-based NextWeb before, notably during the announcement late last year that the company would be acquired by Covad. We wrote Covad's Acquisition of NextWeb Makes Sense.

Now we're talking to NextWeb about the SkyWeb Alliance. The alliance has been around since 2003. Originally, explains Eric Warren, NextWeb's vice president of marketing and business development, the alliance allowed three California WISPs (NextWeb, SkyPipeline, and SkyRiver) to work together, and at the time, Warren was with SkyPipepline.

The companies joined to issue an RFP and chose Axxcelera. "SkyRiver decided to also used Trango, but NextWeb and SkyPipeline became Axxcelera shops. Redwire and West Coast Communications joined the alliance in 2004, and NextPhase and Gatespeed joined in 2005."

The main benefit of working together has to do with the realities of non line of sight (NLOS) fixed wireless broadband service. "Any customer might theoretically be in our coverage area but might be obstructed, or might be too far from the base station," says Warren. "With the alliance, we can often pick up a customer from the base station of a partner."

You need a system to work together
The alliance requires a detailed agreement on pricing and the process of order taking. Generally, the company providing the connectivity gets about 50 percent of the retail price of the connection.

But pricing's easy compared to order taking. NextWeb has its own home grown online order system, and likes to work with partners who have something similar.

"We don't give partners access to it; but they can plug into it. Smaller WISPs have a customer contact database and just update data fields as the sales process moves along: customer signed agreement on x day, scheduled the install on y day. The order flow is important. We go through the process step by step, saying which person to contact at the partner, and the same thing on the tech support side. If we own the customer relationship but the service is offered by a partner, we own the initial call and level 1 tech troubleshooting, such as does your router have power. Level 2 tech support comes from the partner, but our level one support has to be able to contact their tech support and provide a circuit ID or customer number," says Warren.

[snip]

Weblog at: <http://weblog.warpspeed.com>