Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Anti-terrorism software that balances privacy and security?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 17:16:04 -0500

moraal; NEVER let PR folk at research papers or at least read the damn PE before you approve the relase.

Dave

Begin forwarded message:

From: Peter Capek <capek () ieee org>
Date: January 25, 2006 3:40:04 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Anti-terrorism software that balances privacy and security?

There's a paper and set of charts describing this work available at

     http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~rafail/PUBLIC/index.html

Perhaps we can get one of the authors to elucidate this work. But I found the charts to be fairly clear. This work addresses the problem that the criteria used (all that's addressed is the presence of specific words) to find textual communication "of interest" are classified. Today, this necessitates gathering into a secure and classified environment ALL communication of interest, which has scaling, cost, reliability and perhaps other problems. The question the authors
address is how to produce a program which can be used in a non-secure
environment to scan text, and produce an encrypted version of interesting messages, which is then decrypted in a secure environment. (Think hashing and public key encryption.) The point is that it's not possible to tell, from
the scanning program, which words caused a document to be interesting.
I'm sure I've oversimplified this, but I think I have it essentially correct.

It's really misleading to call it "anti-terrorism" software. And at this point, according to the charts at least, it's not software - only an approach and
some theorems.

Lastly, the article cited earlier is misleading in that it says the technique
"[discards] communications from law-abiding citizens before they ever
reach the intelligence community."   This approach knows nothing about
whether the people sending or receiving mail are law-abiding, or even whether they're citizens. Its operation is based solely on the presence of specific words in the message text, although I suppose some of those words could be e-mail
addresses.

             Peter Capek