Interesting People mailing list archives

Government study: VoIP, video can be taxed

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 14:10:27 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: January 27, 2006 1:46:10 PM EST
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: RE: [IP] Government study: VoIP, video can be taxed

The whole idea of laws about the Internet is problematic since it's an idea
rather than a thing. If I use IP protocol over a modem is that "The
Internet"?

This is what bothers me about the whole discussion of "taxing the Internet" -- one needs to be more specific. How is Internet commerce different that
800 number commerce?

The real danger is that in the zeal to tax everything every nascent
innovation is subject to death by taxation. We see this in economies
strangled by a high tax on phone calls.

Taxing VoIP is an example of this. Companies like Vonage that sell VoIP as
if it were traditional telephony have an identifiable product. One argue
about taxing such a product whatever the transport is.

More worrisome is taxing SIP-based telephony that is entirely at the edge with no server. Or, for that matter, demanding a first class stamp on Email
(as one Congressman supposed wanted to do).

Even more problematic is the concept of "access" to the Internet when we're using IP protocols within our homes with the connections to others being a
matter of a routing path and nothing more.

Next you'll see attempts to tax premium electrons at a higher price and a
ban on pornographic electrons.

One more reason for assuring that connectivity is fundamental and available
without being wrapped in a value-added service.