Interesting People mailing list archives

more on why should we ever trust corporation -- BP Named in Inquiry on Pricing - New York Times

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 14:41:52 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Faulhaber, Gerald" <faulhabe () wharton upenn edu>
Date: July 2, 2006 2:19:28 PM EDT
To: "Robert J. Berger" <rberger () ibd com>
Cc: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>, David Farber <dave () farber net> Subject: RE: [IP] more on why should we ever trust corporation -- BP Named in Inquiry on Pricing - New York Times

Well, I'm a little agnostic about muni wifi; for several reasons, I think it is an idea with very limited application, and it could well get us into trouble as a technology that could block new and better technologies as they come onstream later (including fiber). Where it makes sense (small towns without BB coverage, for example) it's a great idea. But in other areas (such as Philadelphia) I am much more dubious. In Philly, I am expecting the SEPTA of broadband;-) I haven't cancelled Comcast, and I don't think I ever will.

I believe your comments about the viability of BB entry are likely correct. But the message here is that the BB market is much more a niche market than us geeks would like to acknowledge. In fact, less than a third of HH actually have BB, and less than 3/4 even have computers. If BB were as popular as, say, cable TV, the economics would be far different. If we only have two providers (and it is not clear they are making money on this product at this time; certainly Wall Street is not rewarding them), maybe that's because the market is really pretty small.

Should the state provide BB nationwide as pure infrastructure? Probably our very best infrastructure project in the US has been the Interstate Highway System; if we could do that well with BB, I'd be for it. But I am deeply suspicious of gov't providing anything competently these days; even hurricane relief and overseas intelligence seems to be beyond our capabilities. Perhaps in some universe, this would be a good idea. But in the US we live in today, I am very skeptical that the Feds wouldn't screw it up royally.

Professor Gerald Faulhaber
Business and Public Policy Dept.
Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Professor of Law
University of Pennsylvania