Interesting People mailing list archives

Verizon billing I have same bad experiences

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 13:38:11 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "James J. O'Donnell" <jod () georgetown edu>
Date: July 5, 2006 1:22:50 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Verizon billing

Dave, as the telcos rush to aggregate our business and be our
phone/broadband provider, their service lags their ambition.  My
all-in-one "Freedom Package" from Verizon is sold to me as one price
for local phone, long-distance, and DSL.  The bill gives a phone
number for billing problems.  But nobody at Verizon is prepared to
talk to me about my whole bill.  I am allowed to talk to one person
about my local service, another about long distance, and a third about
DSL.  If you ask who there is at Verizon with whom you can speak about
the *whole bill*, the answer is "no one".  I have one account with
them, but they have mutually noncommunicating internal organizations,
none of which takes responsibility for the deal they offered and made
with me.  That was 40 minutes on the phone this morning, and the
upshot is that I will learn more by fishing out my paper bills for the
last six months and spending another half hour on them than I will
ever learn from a Verizon employee.

Jim O'Donnell