Interesting People mailing list archives

more on US Patriot Act and Charities

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 18:35:44 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Synthesis: Law and Technology" <synthesis.law.and.technology () gmail com>
Date: July 13, 2006 8:29:18 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Sharron Batsch <sharron () batschgroup com>
Subject: Re: [IP] US Patriot Act and Charities

Dave,

There is a simple answer to Sharron's question. And there is a complicated legal one. The simple answer is this: if it is a concern then her firm should move the data to a different company where there is less obvious risk. There may or may not prove to be a fiduciary duty to inform. There may or may not be a duty for the Batsch Group or the charities themselves do something stronger (like move the data). But that is a question for courts to decide, not for someone on this list. We don't hold the power to judge, only give opinions.

The EU Privacy directive caused similar questions. In Sharron's case, since the company housing the data is an arms-length supplier and not a subsidiary or owner of the charities or the Batsch Group, the choice becomes clearer. There is no conflict of laws because a solution is possible. Should the charity choose to stay with the US company there 'could' be problems. Or....there might not. They need to consult their counsel to get an answer that will still not be a guarantee but an opinion. In law there are no guanratees and the difference between losing and getting-away-with-it doesnt necessarily prove that there was or was not a fiduciary duty in the first place.

Hope  this helps.

Dan Steinberg

SYNTHESIS:Law & Technology
35, du Ravin phone: (613) 794-5356