Interesting People mailing list archives

Another Net Neutrality question...

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 11:38:05 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: h_bray () globe com
Date: June 1, 2006 11:15:37 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Another Net Neutrality question...

...this one asked in my role as tech reporter.  I'm doing a story on the
matter. It'll be straight down the middle, no sides taken. But there's an
aspecr of this issue that I haven't seen addressed, and I'm hoping the
hypersmart people on the list can tidy it up for me.

We keep talking about a two-tiered Internet. I may have helped establish
that meme with a story I did on this issue a couple months ago.  But is
that really what's happening?  Can't one just as easily argue that the
"premium" broadband tier isn't really the Internet at all?

Imagine that Verizon, without using the "I" word, had decided to build a
new high-speed private data network to millions of homes. They'd use this
network to carry TV signals, as well as a variety of computer data
services. The network would use TCP/IP technology, but would run entirely
over Verizon's prvately owned hardware.

If Verizon had done such a thing, would anyone argue that the company was
obligated to share this network with others, without charging them usage
fees?  Wouldn't we shrug and say that since Verizon spent the billions
needed to build the network, they could do with it as they pleased?

But this is pretty much what's happening now, isn't it? This second tier
of Internet service is really more like a private network.  It's not so
much a bifurcation of the Internet, but a complete departure from it.
Looked at that way, why shouldn't the broadband providers charge use fees
to other data services?

Hiawatha Bray
Technology Reporter
Boston Globe