Interesting People mailing list archives

more on LAST TIME I USE HOTELS.COM djf Ernst & Young laptop loss exposes 243,000 Hotels.com customers

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 20:17:15 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Phil Kos <PhilK () quardev com>
Date: June 2, 2006 8:08:36 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Bill Stewart <bill.stewart () pobox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on LAST TIME I USE HOTELS.COM djf Ernst & Young laptop loss exposes 243,000 Hotels.com customers

This is a difficult issue that affects all of us to some extent, and does not seem to have any simple solution -- if it has any solution at all.

Dr. Farber, you gave your information to Hotels.com. Presumably, they had assured you they would protect it, or you wouldn't have done so. And presumably their assurances included (boilerplate) statements to the effect that, while they would feel free to share your information with partners if necessary for business purposes, any such partners would be required to provide equal protection for your information.

So what do YOU do in a situation like this, where the partner (in this case E&Y) fails to live up to the bargain they made with Hotels.com? You have no contractual relationship with E&Y, so you can't expect any satisfaction from them. I suppose you could try to hold Hotels.com responsible, but they'll just skate based on the fact that they followed "industry best practices" by "requiring" protection from E&Y, so they've satisfied any obligation they had to you.

It might be satisfying to merely stop dealing with Hotels.com as you stated, but real damage has been done; so I wouldn't feel that it was sufficient. And it's also problematic, because all companies are vulnerable to such breaches by their partners, and all companies have partnerships like this; so it's not like there are any real alternatives.

To me, the problem seems to be that we are frequently forced to agree to these transitive trust relationships without any corresponding reverse transitive responsibility. When we trust a company we're explicitly doing business with, we implicitly trust the partners they explicitly do business with, yet we ourselves have no leverage over those companies. I find this not only unsatisfying, but downright disturbing -- to the extent that I choose not to participate in many commercial activities because of it, and only rarely give out personal information to anyone, for anything (usually only when required by law, or necessary to obtain critical services).

I had to get a new credit card two years ago because a processing company used by my travel agency managed to lose a huge pile of credit card numbers. There was no satisfaction I could possibly get from the processing company. I have not used the travel agency since then, but that was not intended to be punitive: I never felt that there was anything I could possibly do that would prevent such a thing from occurring again in the future, including using a different travel agent, so there didn't seem to be any point.

I would like to hear what you end up doing in this situation, whether it satisfies you, and whether it seems to have any other positive effect. As I said earlier, this is a difficult problem; and I'm not sure there is any satisfactory solution.

Mr. Stewart makes an interesting point (if I read him correctly) -- that the fault is truly E&Y's, but because of consolidation in their industry, there are virtually no alternatives to E&Y, so Hotels.com is essentially helpless to improve the situation, and punitive actions against them are therefore misguided. However, this is perhaps the most deeply unsatisfying piece of the whole puzzle. Can this really be as good as it gets? If so, why do we trust any of these companies with ANYTHING? Are we all really at the mercy of the weakest links, with no hope for improvement?

Despondently,

Phil Kos
Issaquah, WA