Interesting People mailing list archives

more on more on what does win mean

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 07:16:27 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Thomas Leavitt <thomas () thomasleavitt org>
Date: June 24, 2006 10:37:11 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: simon () higgs com
Subject: re: more on what does wi mean

Dave,

 By this definition, it is already too late... while, as an American
citizen, my day to day life remains more or less unaffected (by the war
in Iraq and other forms of terrorist acts), at a higher level, my
confidence in the integrity of our overall system of checks and balances
has been severely compromised.

 I find myself wondering if some left-field regulation is going to
result in my Swedish born, Green-card resident wife being summarily
deported;  making jokes and having conversations about domestic spying
efforts that I wouldn't have imagined occurring just a few years ago; I
wonder if, the next time I attempt to step on a plane, I'm going to be
pulled aside because my various activism efforts have resulted in my
name being placed on one TSA list or another; my step-children will
inherit a federal government crippled by vast debts and obligations it
is unable to fulfill (if they choose to stay here, rather than migrate
to Sweden), thus compromising their future opportunities; I find myself
thinking that I only have to stick it out for a few more years, then I
myself can move to Sweden.

 Do I worry about being killed or injured in a terrorist attack? No. Do
I worry about my personal safety as an American traveling abroad in the
third world, as the result of American policy? Yes.

 My 10th grade World History teacher traveled across much of Africa and
the Middle East on foot as a youth - spoke with Ethiopian monks who
claimed to have King Solomon's crown in their basement, saw ancient
Greek treasures on display in an Afghani museum... how many places like
that across the world are now effectively off limits to Americans? How
many more require a substantial assumption of risk to venture into?

The real costs of the "war on terror" are not measured in loss of peace
of mind, but in the reduced scope of possibilities available to the
average American, both here and abroad.

Regards,
Thomas Leavitt