Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Supposedly Destroyed Hard Drive Purchased In Chicago

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 14:04:00 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Robert Alberti <alberti () sanction net>
Date: June 3, 2006 1:10:47 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Supposedly Destroyed Hard Drive Purchased In Chicago

Has anyone ever tried to drill holes in a hard drive in order to destroy
it?  I have.  Those things are built tough.  As the firm responsible for
destroying the losing defendant's evidence in a multi-billion-dollar
intellectual property case (http://tinyurl.com/ha9xa ), we were ordered
by the court to FIRST use military-grade software to wipe the drives,
and THEN physically destroy the drives.

The most efficient method, after having tried drill presses, spikes, and
simple disassembly, was to prop the drives diagonally against a brick
and bend them in half by smashing them with a sledgehammer.  Once you
get into the rhythm it goes quite quickly.

Having seen neither drill presses or sledgehammers in use in the tech
support areas at Best Buy stores, I would be skeptical of their claims
of physical destruction.

It would be interesting to analyze that drive to see if anyone else was
using it during the period between when it went to Best Buy, and when it
turned up at the garage sale.  We once discovered who stole, and then
returned, a Macintosh from a department at the University of Minnesota
with its drive erased.  We did a hex search of the drive surface for the
words "high score".  There was the name of the thief, one of the
janitors, who confessed when presented with evidence.

Robert Alberti, CISSP, ISSMP, Wielder-of-Sledgehammers
Sanction, Inc.
http://sanction.net