Interesting People mailing list archives

more on HP cuts back on telecommuting

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 20:08:56 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Vicki Brown <vlb () cfcl com>
Date: June 8, 2006 6:58:04 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on HP cuts back on telecommuting

I note that it is always the managers, usually at the upper levels, who
decide that employees need to be physically present to do their jobs. For some reason, they can't seem to figure out how to measure performance in any
more suitable ways, such as by actually work accomplished.

the less-experienced employees who aren't performing well -- which there
are ``a lot of'' -

If these people have been telecommuting, something is wrong. Telecommuting
isn't for everyone. You still have to be able to perform your job to the
expected standards.

a few employees abused the flexible work arrangements and could
be heard washing dishes or admitted to driving a tractor during
conference calls about project updates.

This is not a "telecommuting" issue. This is a management issue. It should be treated the same as any other management issue, e.g. checking and responding to email during a meeting, being late to meetings, taking a cell phone call during a meeting or class, failing to complete a project on time, or hanging out in the breakroom all day. (Or listening to the copier techs in the next
cube instead of concentrating on your own work. :)

Some can do their jobs without talking to co-workers more than once a day.

I've been in plenty of positions over the past two decades, all in the field
of "Information Technology",  where I could do my job without talking to
co-workers more than once a week! When we did talk, sometimes it was about
work. I agree that it can be useful to bounce ideas off of a willing
co-worker. But I can also do that over the phone, chat, or email as well.

Many of the workplace conversations that take place aren't about the job. I've overheard co-workers talking about sports, World of Warcraft, lunch, last night's party, your new blog, the book she's been reading, a band he likes, whether the video iPod is "worth" the extra cost, and how soon the
bagels will get here.

Telecommuters aren't being "productive" for 8 hours a day? MOST workers
aren't being productive for 8 hours a day, whether they are forced to show a
physical presence at headquarters or not.

I've been stuck in cubicles next to break rooms and noisy conference rooms, had to put up with abysmal lighting (because my co-workers turned off the overhead lights), constant throat clearing or coughing, "leaking" headsets,
humming and finger tapping, noisy typing (I'm guilty of that one), leaf
blowers from outside, ringing cell phones (he left it on his desk; no
voicemail) and personal conversations. I've had co-workers who talked about their medical problems (TMI!) or car repair problems as well as co- workers
who were in the process of buying a house, getting married, planning a
vacation or securing a green card.

That "clerk in the office became an expert in copier repair" because she
overheard the techs could also be also be chastised for spending her time
eavesdropping rather than doing her own work.

I fought hard at my previous job for the right to telecommute, first half days and then full days. If I were in HP's IT division, I'd be polishing my resume. I hope a large fraction of those 1000 employees are willing to stand firm against this threat to their productivity and apply to work at a company that values their contribution more than their physical presence. I expect
quite a few will be contacting lawyers to determine their rights for
unemployment benefits if the new CIO takes action against them for doing
their jobs (outside the "office").

Flexible work arrangements began at HP in 1967 as a core part of the
company's widely respected management philosophy. In the book ``The
HP Way: How Bill Hewlett and I Built Our Company,'' HP co-founder
David Packard wrote: ``To my mind, flextime is the essence of respect
for and trust in people. It says that we both appreciate that our
people have busy personal lives and that we trust them to devise,
with their supervisor and work group, a schedule that is personally
convenient yet fair to others.''

Mott's changes underscore HP's determination to free itself from what
new executives view as cumbersome costs and an outdated corporate
culture.

Gosh. "Respect for and trust in people" has been relegated to the rubbish heap of "outdated corporate culture". That's what is most frightening to me.
--
Vicki Brown  <vlb () cfcl com>         <>   http://philtres.com/vlb
Information & Content Management    <>   Intranet or Internet