Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Who they're spying on

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 16:51:46 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: L Jean Camp <ljeanc () gmail com>
Date: June 9, 2006 1:46:26 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Who they're spying on

The implicit argument is that we have to give up a free society in
order to defeat terrorists.  You propose that we decide how long we
will give up living in a free society, or perhaps how long we might
live in a surveillance society. Or maybe what percent of freedom we
might give up.

Any post that has as this its implicit assumption is unlikely to find
a detailed argument as a response. The responses did not reject your
call for dialogue, but the premise of that dialogue.

External attacks are a risk to us all. Abuse of power is a risk to us
all. A free society has a different balance of risk than a
surveillance society, not more overall risk.

To put it in the kind of "story line" terms to popular with the media
types such as yourself:

1. If my beloved were kidnapped, I would want anyone who might
possibly be connected to be picked up AND killed  AND tortured to save
the life and suffering of the one I love.

2. I would never want to live in a society where my dearest could be
picked up and tortured on the smallest chance that they might possibly
be connected and know something about someone else's kidnapped
beloved.

3. We cannot have both 1 and 2.

There is no simple  inverse proportional relationship between freedom
and risk, except for that long term protection of civil rights in an
open society makes the most people most safe and most free. You are
asking us to pretend we can have 1) and not 2).

The problem was the nonsense in your question, not the responding dialogue.