Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Why the future is in South Korea

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 07:27:26 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat org>
Date: June 12, 2006 1:27:23 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Why the future is in South Korea

At 03:57 AM 6/11/2006, Udhay Shankar

This might also have something to do with the fact that (when I was
in Seoul last) accessing the outside internet, while adequately fast,
is nowhere near the multi-megabit speeds you can get from servers
located in Korea.

This may have something to do with the fact that Korea is among
the #1 sources of spam. One of the unintended negative consequences
of providing ubiquitous, extremely high speed access to nearly an
entire country is that others actually have to throttle or block
traffic from those networks to prevent abuse. I know that we do.
Our spam scoring system adds points if a server is located in
Korea. And we reject thousands of messages per day with subject
lines in Hangul -- the unusual Korean phonetic writing system which
uses blocks of consonant and vowel symbols to represent syllables.
Our users have the option of NOT blocking those messages, but as
far as I know no more than half a dozen of them have enabled that
option. Even those who can read Hangul complain that if they don't
block it they get tons of spam.

The Internet, whose protocols were developed in a trusting academic
environment, may not be ready for every naive user, every hackable
machine, and every potential abuser to have such a high speed
connection.

--Brett Glass