Interesting People mailing list archives

more on more on Google wireless patents

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 18:41:16 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Glenn Fleishman <glenn () glennf com>
Date: March 29, 2006 6:25:43 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Google wireless patents

Mark Stahlman wrote:
Dave:

Is Google being evil yet?

No, not for this reason at least.

Seeking a patent doesn't grant one and getting a patent doesn't mean
it will be used against anyone.  They could let everyone use the
patents, for instance.

I thought it worth pointing out that there was Sturm und Drang when Amazon.com had patents granted left and right on things like 1-Click and so forth. I was working at Amazon.com from late 96 to early 97 when some patents were written, and drafted instructions for one of them (but wasn't the inventor). My understanding at the time which has been born out is that the patents were methods to prevent large, direct competitors from obtaining a market advantage by describing technology. Without the patents, Amazon.com certainly would have been enjoined from all kinds of behavior and would be paying royalties left and right.

While they were criticized for these patents, I can think of only one case where they used their patents to prevent another company from using a business method they had been granted limited rights over -- when they sued Barnes & Noble over the 1-Click option. Otherwise, and IPers could correct me, I can think of no other instances of public enforcement.

The existence of the patents does mean there's a chilling effect, because no sensible company invests in technology or an approach that overlaps with well-known or well-researched patents owned by giant firms or patent-lawsuit houses. And not pursuing action against perceived patent violations now or in the past doesn't preclude them in the future during the lifetime of the patent.

It's easier to believe Amazon.com's 2000 statements -- including Jeff Bezos joining with Tim O'Reilly to decry the state of patents -- in 2006 than it was in 2000, I suppose. But I can't see why a firm that thinks of something that they deem unique could take the risk of not patenting that method. It's too risky to not have a patent. Which is why our patent system desperately needs reform.
--
Glenn Fleishman
seattle . washington