Interesting People mailing list archives

Lame service notice from AT&T CallVantage

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 20:34:42 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Chris Metcalfe <metcalfe () gmail com>
Date: March 5, 2006 8:23:22 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Lame service notice from AT&T CallVantage

Hi Dave,

I wanted to share with you all a very lame service notice from ATT Callvantage (AT&T's VOIP service) where they basically say "don't move for 'around 2 weeks' and if you do, use another method to reach 911". (see below).

My wife and I have been very happy with the ATT CallVantage service, with the exception of their 911 feature. When we got married, my wife moved her router from her house to mine, and used their web form to update the address for 911 purposes.

According to AT&T the address update took, but according to the 911 dispatcher (who I placed a test "non-emergecy" call to) the address was still listed as her old address.

Calls to AT&T caused the above paragraph to be repeated 3 times -- and on the third time a "senior escallation" engineer called me and said that we had happened on a bug that had effected hundreds, though not thousands of customers (especially if they, like us, have multiple lines).

At one point AT&T even said that 911 service would be available on line 1, but not line 2 -- even though both lines are served from the same CPE/router.

I wonder if the below email was, in any way, triggered by our customer service comlaints?

Chris