Interesting People mailing list archives

Who Owns Information About You? -- RFID abuse research!

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 06:27:06 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ted Kircher <tkircher () comcast net>
Date: May 14, 2006 12:19:56 AM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>, Jim Warren <jwarren () well com>
Subject: Fw: ... Who Owns Information About You? -- RFID abuse research!

Dave,

While the technology of RFID is still premature and its present scope of use very limited, the general opinion is that its prevasive use is envitable.

Hence, my email was intended to consider a probable consequent of the
use of RFID products once its market had matured (initially intended to
replace barcodes) using the same reasoning (terrorism, national defense, ..)
to justify gathering telephone call information today.

Hence, what is needed to be done now is challange this reasoning and not wait
for EXAMPLES - that should be obvious if the reasoning is not changed.

Btw, similar extrapolations of the consequences of any new technology should be made if the "national defense justifies anything" reasoning is not challanged.

PS: I don't think the "beat up the little guy" (Iraq, Iran, Palestine, ....) strategy of the U.S. is sustainable without an increasing lost of personal information (and inevitable abuse/control by our government) because the weaponry available to individuals will continue to increase. The U.S. policies today are creating suicide bombers many of whom should be expected to lie dormat (live ordinary lives, ....) for decades. Their weaponry will not be
      archaic dynamite!

Ted