Interesting People mailing list archives

broadcast flag unanimity - Senate Dems also back flag in own draft telecom. bill

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 19:49:50 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ethan Ackerman <eackerma () u washington edu>
Date: May 25, 2006 6:58:58 PM EDT
To: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>, David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Fwd: broadcast flag unanimity - Senate Dems also back flag in own draft telecom. bill

Greetings Dave, Declan,

A credibly authentic draft of the Senate Commerce Committee Democrats'
response to the Stevens telecom. bill looks to also include a
wholesale ratification of the FCC's (over-ruled) broadcast flag.  If,
as implied, this draft becomes the Democratic response to Sen.
Stevens' (and his fellow Republicans') bill, then the broadcast flag
is no longer even a point of dispute...

I'm sure there's more in this ~100 page bill, including net neutrality
and national cable franchising rules, but for the the proposed
'official' Democrat line to be considering adopting the 'broadcast
flag' into law is news enough...

(Details -this looks to be the draft Senate Commerce Committee
Democrats' response to the Stevens bill - prepared by ranking member
Sen. Inouye's committee staff.  This isn't the same as 'introduced
legislation' - far from it, but still indicates positions Senators are
taking.  The ranking member's bill also doesn't guarantee the bill the
support of all committee democrats, but often gets it - and almost
assures a committee majority.)

Hat tip to Jim Baller who brought this to my attention.

-Ethan