Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Goss out

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 17:38:25 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Tom Fairlie <tfairlie () frontiernet net>
Date: May 5, 2006 5:33:21 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: kelley () inkworkswell com
Subject: Re: [IP] Goss out

Dave,

I don't doubt that the CIA, like any other government bureaucracy,
has its share of waste, inefficiency, and corruption. However, what
I don't understand is why Washington and its obedient press corps
continue to push the "intelligence failure" meme.

When exactly did the CIA have this "failure"?

Was it on 9/11? No, I would characterize that as either an Air
National Guard/FAA/DOD failure to guard our skies (something
they did on thousands of other occasions, except on that one day),
or perhaps even a plot to cause such a failure. Everyone in the
intelligence community seemed to know that such an attack was
possible, and perhaps even probable. I don't see any failure here.

Was it in Iraq? No, I would call that a misuse of intelligence by
the Bush administration, who, we now know, discarded good
intelligence and used only the evidence that supported their case.
The CIA and State Department knew that al Qaeda did not operate
in Iraq (the State Dept. web site archive even proves this), and a
LOT of people around the world were telling us that WMDs did
not exist and to let the inspectors continue their job.

Was their failure, perhaps, in politicizing intelligence? Well, that's
a close call, but.. No, they do not directly politicize intelligence.
They certainly use propaganda and pull strings behind the scenes,
so that's similar to a "political" use, but the only obvious cases
have been their purging of non-Bushites in the CIA. A project,
I remind you, that was spearheaded by Goss himself.

I guess there was a failure after all, and perhaps now it might be fixed.

Tom Fairlie