Interesting People mailing list archives

Security Theatre, Act 456 - Are we safe yet?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 15:38:48 +0200

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dan Brown <brown () brauhaus org>
Date: September 22, 2006 5:15:26 PM GMT+02:00
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Security Theatre, Act 456 - Are we safe yet?

I was on a flight into DCA yesterday.  After deplaning, I stopped off at
the restroom, still in the "past security" part of the airport. This was a
bit past 5pm, when there were a good number of inbound flights, all of
which arrived at about the same time -- in otherwords, the restroom was
packed.

As I was leaving, a cleaning guy, pushing a big gray wastebasket/ janitors cart, walked in. He parked the cart/wastebasket at the door and went in to
do whatever he was there to do.  I noted that it appeared he'd made a
previous stop at or near the security checkpoint.

Maybe that last was a bit of a deduction, but, my deduction is based on the large collection of confiscated water bottles, lipsticks, toothpaste tubes,
and various other verbotten dangerous liquids, gels and the like sitting
there _unsupervised_ in the top of the wastebasket like a big bowl of candy
for anyone to just grab a handful of as they walked out of the restroom.

I didn't report it to security. Should I have?

Are we safe yet?

--
Dan Brown
brown () brauhaus org