Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Do you want Google inspecting all your browsing?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 10:02:03 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Adam Fields <ip20398470293845 () aquick org>
Date: August 31, 2006 11:45:27 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] Do you want Google inspecting all your browsing?

For IP, if you wish:

On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 07:18:00PM -0400, David Farber wrote:
[...]
This morning Gmail served up an ad for Google Web Accelerator.  It's
from Google Labs.  It is software you install for IE or Firefox that
runs all of your Web downloads through Google's global caching
network.  The stated purpose is to speed up your surfing.  Privacy
implications are staggering.

http://webaccelerator.google.com/

When I installed it, I intended just to try it out with Firefox.  The
installer didn't ask and enabled the tool for both IE and Firefox.  A
toolbar tells you how many seconds it's saved; I'm up to 12.8.

I've written several pieces about Google Accelerator (and the privacy
implications of this combined with their other services).

These articles are from last year, but all of the issues I've raised
are still relevant.

http://www.aquick.org/blog/2005/05/05/google-wants-your-logs/
http://www.aquick.org/blog/2005/05/08/google-is-destroying-the-private/
http://www.aquick.org/blog/2005/11/21/google-really-wants-your-logs/

--
                                - Adam

** Expert Technical Project and Business Management
**** System Performance Analysis and Architecture
****** [ http://www.adamfields.com ]

[ http://www.aquick.org/blog ] ............ Blog
[ http://www.adamfields.com/resume.html ].. Experience