Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Brain Doping, or, The Futurological Congress

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 14:05:09 -0800

From: Dave Wilson [dave () wilson net]
Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2007 9:41 AM
To: David Farber
Cc: ip
Subject: Re: [IP] Brain Doping, or, The Futurological Congress

Perhaps if people talked a bit more about the risks of messing around
with your wiring folks might be less inclined to engage in this sort of
behavior. While I certainly don't want to give anybody who needs
medication another reason to stop taking it, the permanent neurological
side effects of long-term use of drugs like prozac can be pretty
unsettling. Facial tics, for example, occur in about 25 percent of  such
users, and they can persist long after you stop taking the drug;
chemically induced Parkinsons is another known longterm side effect of
these selective serotonin reuptake inhibititors (SSRIs). In other words,
persistent, long term use of drugs that rewire your brain for purposes
other than survival -- that is, to combat profound depression, for
example -- can be extremely unwise and therefore such uses need to be
examined using risk analysis. Which is another way of saying you've got
to be nuts to try and goose your intellect every day of your career by
popping a pill; such behavior will inevitably profoundly shorten your
career and has a good chance of leaving you living the rest of  your
very long, medically extended, life tormented with profound neurological
difficulties.

-dave