Interesting People mailing list archives

Toolkit for detecting ISP modifications to web pages

From: David Farber <dfarber () cs cmu edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 18:18:04 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Charles Reis <creis () cs washington edu>
Date: December 10, 2007 5:37:17 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Toolkit for detecting ISP modifications to web pages

Hi Dave--
There has recently been some discussion on both this list and the Net Neutrality Squad mailing list about ISPs modifying web traffic (e.g., the recent messages about Rogers modifying Google's home page). Related to this, I wanted to point you to a toolkit that a server could use to detect whether its pages are being modified in flight. The toolkit is available at the URL below:

http://www.cs.washington.edu/research/security/web-tripwire.html

The toolkit allows publishers to deploy "web tripwires" on their own web pages. Web tripwires are JavaScript code that can detect when a web page is modified in flight, so that the publisher is aware of the event and can notify the end user if appropriate.