Interesting People mailing list archives

MicroSoft: Security for Home Computer Users: Shop online more safely this holiday season

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 01:45:40 -0800

From: bobr () bobrosenberg phoenix az us [bobr () bobrosenberg phoenix az us]
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 11:47 PM
To: David Farber
Subject: RE:  MicroSoft:  Security for Home Computer Users: Shop online  more safely this holiday season

Hi Dave

Perhaps for IP.

As I was reading Microsoft's Security emailer today (Security for Home Computer
Users: Shop online more safely this holiday season), I came across the following,
and it started me wondering...

"Protect yourself
Protect yourself

Why put your credit card account at risk?
You can use online payment services to reduce the risk of fraud when you shop
online. Here's how to choose a payment service and use it wisely."

I know of at least 2 major banks that offer credit card customers the ability to
generate "virtual CC numbers" on the fly from their websites.  Only you & your bank
know the actual CC account number to which they are related.

The 2 banks I know about shall remain anonymous, but their initials are CitiBank and
Bank of America.

They are one time use numbers. If some bad guy gets hold of one of them, so what?
After you use one of these virtual numbers once, even if the bad guys get it and try
to use it, it won't work.

All of them that I've seen carry an expiration date of the end of the following month.

I rarely find anyone who knows about them.

QUESTIONS IN MY MIND:

How come so few people know about them?

How come the banks don't advertise the dickens out of them?

Happy Hollandaise!

Bob
--
Bob Rosenberg
P.O. Box 33023

**************

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of
opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly
repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and
creates a country where everyone lives in fear."
-- President Harry S. Truman, message to Congress, August 8, 1950

"Civil government cannot let any group ride roughshod over others simply because
their consciences tell them to do so."
-- Justice Robert H. Jackson
While an Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court, Jackson was appointed
Chief United States Prosecutor at the International War Crimes Tribunal in
Nuremberg, Germany.