Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: An Alternative To San Francisco's Wi-Fi Deal

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 16:11:45 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: February 1, 2007 3:35:55 PM EST
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Cc: dewayne () warpspeed com
Subject: RE: [IP] An Alternative To San Francisco's Wi-Fi Deal

This emphasizes that need to ask why Wi-Fi. As I pointed out in http://www.frankston.com/?name=WiFiEdge wouldn't it make more sense to help people share a connection using existing infrastructure than to deploy a new solution that is more expensive and comes with additional problems? The real challenge seems to be helping people understand why they need to be connected – the how part is relatively simple.

As SF looks at a new deal (http://www.californiachronicle.com/ articles/viewArticle.asp?articleID=20011) I hope they consider an infrastructure approach for all connectivity rather than pursuing a subscription model with slow service for free. If the city wants to actually use the technology for “digital divide” then an infrastructure approach is necessary to avoid what amounts discriminatory access to basic facilities and services such as education. Of course if they do provide their own fiber it will be hard to have a uniform subscription model anyway because video bits would dominate.

If the costs are sufficiently low for the city to do FTTP then the local connectivity should be low. As an aside – does FFTP mean to each apartment or building. As infrastructure one only need connect the building rather than bearing the cost of running individual distribution lines to each drop (to use classic Bell parlance. Even more so if the subscription prices drive people to sharing using Wi- Fi anyway.

In reading this story we can interpret “phone” in the sense that one must choose to pay someone to get past the barrier to reach classic PSTN subscribers and I can interpret “cable” to mean access to the classic content we associated with cable.

But the concept of an Internet provider is a bit strange since one is “already connected” to the local segment of the Internet. Perhaps the model presumes one simply connects locally and then uses something like PPoE to get to the rest of the world. This is perverse – what is “out here” vs what is “in here”? If I want to reach the Palo Alto library do I need to have an “Internet Provider”.

Ultimately this issue will be forced – the first step would be direct connections among the communities in the Bay Area and that will provide enough buying power to extend the model further. I’ve suggested a similar approach among Boston Wi-Fi efforts – direct connections rather than paying a third party for regional traffic.

Broadband is a distribution model which increases the costs of deployment but the bigger problem is that it presumes all connections are expensive and thus makes it difficult to use abundant local connectivity for access to schools et al – the very rationale for deployment.

Of course with an infrastructure model instead of broadband we would simply leaky fiber to provide Wi-Fi coverage as a byproduct without having to first come up with a just-so story needed to justify deploying it before we’ve had a chance to find the real value using new devices and applications and services.

This is why I argue the CFR (Copper, Fiber and Radios) model (http:// www.frankston.com/?Name=OurCFR) is the stable model. Otherwise we have to infest the system will all sorts of mechanisms that serve no purpose other than collecting fees to cover the high cost of these additional mechanisms that service no purpose other than [repeat ad infinitum]. (This is the model for today’s Universal Service Fund – covering the high cost of covering the high cost of …)

SF has a real opportunity but can it step beyond the myopia of the broadband subscription model?

AN ALTERNATIVE TO SAN FRANCISCO'S WI-FI DEAL

[SOURCE: San Francisco Chronicle 1/29, AUTHOR: Becca Vargo Daggett,

Institute for Local Self-Reliance]

      [Commentary] San Francisco Supervisors who would reject the

Earthlink-Google deal now have an alternative. The central conclusion

of a recent report from the San Francisco budget analyst is that a

municipally owned wireless network is fiscally feasible. But equally

important for the upcoming Board of Supervisors' vote is the report's

conclusion: that the process leading to the Earthlink-Google deal was

profoundly flawed. The result of this flawed process is the

inadequate Earthlink-Google deal, which accomplishes little more than

the most basic goal of free Internet access. The free service is

decidedly slow: half the speed of the DSL access AT&T is now required

to sell for $10 per month, under terms imposed on its acquisition of

BellSouth, and one-third the speed available for free in neighboring

communities. The need for a wireless bridge device, to bring the

outdoor wireless signal indoors, forces low-income households either

to buy such a device for $80 to $200, or subscribe to the paid

service at $22 per month. Both these options limit the number of low-

income individuals who will use the network. The network also limits

potential competition.

<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/

2007/01/29/EDGC7N72CM1.DTL>

Archives: http://archives.listbox.com/247/