Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: It's just CFR -- Copper Fiber and Radios vs Telecom?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 01:26:32 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: February 10, 2007 11:39:22 PM EST
To: "'Russ Nelson'" <nelson () crynwr com>, dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] It's just CFR -- Copper Fiber and Radios vs Telecom?

Sorry about the delayed response -- too many system problems distracting me.

I've thought about just paying for my own fiber from a POP -- after all, it's on the order of buying a car but far more useful. Even better if you could then split the cost with your neighbors. There are lots of ways to fund it -- where I live curbs are optional but the city will help you finance it and
cover some of the cost if you choose.

What I do ask is what you mean by "ISP". If you just run some fiber then you
should speak to the pole owners -- perhaps the gas or electric utility.
Bargaining with your competition -- the ISP is a bit strange and awkward.

Once you're at the POP you're a major competitor.

The real challenge is how to aggregate your buying at the POP. But as others
do the same thing you would peer directly and then instead of buying ISP
services you would shift as much of your traffic as you can onto dark fibers
and do your own routing.

Since you have no reason not to run your fibers at full capacity you might as well run a bundle at a time you can greatly expand your local financing base.

Of course with so much capacity you can share it wirelessly with passersby.
Sure you're paying but for local peering and dark fiber you don't have a
clock running and if you're really using it the incremental use would be
small and once you start to get a significant number of your neighbors
joining in you get a balance so it doesn't seem as if you're giving something
away.

Sure, some will be happy with a few megabits of wireless connectivity but
they are still participants and will want more.

But once you get an ISP in the middle ...

Note that you can dispute the dynamic because many people don't see the value in having such an infrastructure but I'm not serious about taking this all
the way -- once people get the idea that you can get gigabits without a
(local) meter running then you'll find support for the community to treat it
like infrastructure and get the full benefit.

Whether the city will pay and your neighbors for their initial investments --
well, it's not zero sum so others may get the benefit of your foresight.
Perhaps a better way to think about it is that your time has value and you
don't expect to be paid back for that.