Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: The death of non-regulated ISPs?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 19:16:50 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>
Date: February 13, 2007 6:45:45 PM EST
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com, rjoffe () centergate com
Subject: Re: [IP] The death of non-regulated ISPs?

At 02:53 PM 2/13/2007, Rodney Joffe wrote:

I think I finally have to admit that the smaller traditional ISPs
have reached rock-bottom with respect to customer service and
support. And if I (slightly more clueful and persistent than most of
the mass market) am not able to force my way through a problem, I
don't know how we expect the mass market users to do anything other
than roll over and be abused.

I beg to differ. As a very small traditional ISP, we pride ourselves on offering better customer service and support than the "big guys," who tend to send all support calls overseas to human robots who are authorized to do nothing but read from scripts. It's too bad that, due to poor governance and corporate lobbying, our days may be numbered.

When I have had issues with connectivity with traditional facilities
based providers, I have had the option of enlisting the assistance of
state and federal regulators. It would be a pity if this noose was
forced around all of the smaller providers. And voting with one's
feet and pocketbook is sometimes not an option.

Unfortunately, the regulatory noose is indeed closing around the necks of small providers. In particular, the FCC -- ignoring the will of Congress, which said that CALEA should never be applied to Internet providers -- is requiring all ISPs to submit to costly requirements to make their networks tappable (even though any smart terrorist would encrypt anyway). At the same time, regulatory oversight of telephone monopolies is getting weaker. For example, the Wyoming legisature appears poised to pass Senate File 78, which would allow the ILECs to kick ISPs off of their DSL systems and raise the price of wholesale backbone connections above the retail price of Internet service. Few if any independent ISPs will survive if that bill passes.

--Brett Glass

Archives: http://v2.listbox.com/member/archive/247/@now