Interesting People mailing list archives

more on University dumps Cisco VoIP for open-source Asterisk

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 10:57:12 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Michael Slavitch <michael.slavitch () e2exchange com>
Date: January 3, 2007 10:50:14 AM EST
To: dave () farber net, tim () oreilly com, hsinnrei () adobe com
Subject: Re: [IP] University dumps Cisco VoIP for open-source Asterisk

"Proprietary" vs "Open Source" may well be the wrong battle to fight. The real fight may be over walled gardens vs open standards.

This podcast describes a similar situation using commercial software that embraces open standards.

http://lippisreport.com/2006/11/13/unified-communications-at-pembina- trails/

"Don Reece the Director of Information Technology at Pembina Trails, a Public School Division in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada joins the Lippis Report podcast to discuss his newly installed unified communications implementation. Pembina Trails has an enrollment of approximately 14,000. They have a network of dark fiber backbone between sites running at 1 Gigabit, Microsoft Active Directory and Exchange, Dell Ethernet Switches and a very old voice system. It was time to upgrade the voice system, so they did it with Objectworld's Unified Communications Server and saved over $200K while offering a state-of-the-art IP telephony system. Don goes into all the details. It's a great listen. Enjoy Nick."

Open Source is not useful if the protocols used in them are closed and not in wide use. In that case one silo is replaced with another silo.

This podcast describes how Pembina Trails School Division ignored Cisco VOIP and opted for open-standards based commercial software. Their reasoning? They could use any switch, any SIP phone, any gateway, and integrate with any other SIP based system using open standards. While it does describe my employer's software the reasoning could apply to any standards-based install, including Asterisk.

Fair warning is that they replaced it with unified communications software from my employer. While my employer sold them the core server software they could pick and choose all the other components as they saw fit, from platform to phones to networking equipment.

What made this possible is the SIP protocol, which is why I included Henry in this email. Without SIP this would be impossible. Thank Henry for this effort.

The kicker is that if we screwed up and didn't meet expectations they could move over to Asterisk or another commercial vendor without changing any hardware. It could be done in a weekend. This of course keeps us on our toes and enforces a discipline that is woefully absent from the PBX industry, which is still acting as if it was the DEC PDP-11 era when we are in fact in an era of personal supercomputers. We designed our software to be SIP down to its bones, unlike Asterisk, which is ultimately based on its own protocols. One key point: Asterisk is not free. It requires expertise to set up and expertise to manage as like all Linux based applications it comes as a platform for enthusiasts and experts, and requires care and feeding.

The advantage of commercial software that uses open standards is that it allows for investments in areas such as automation and ease of use. This lowers the bar such that these systems can be installed and managed by non-technical people. This eliminates a key cost of running computer systems. O'Reilly and Associates might well be the perfect site for an Asterisk deployment. An accountant's office isn't. A key goal that I laid out three years ago was that our software could be fully maintained by a receptionist, the real power behind the throne in all small offices. Never, ever piss off the receptionist.

Give a listen.  Don is an honest broker and keeps us on our toes.

Regards

Michael