Interesting People mailing list archives

Winny Defense Breaches

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 20:12:49 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rod Van Meter <rdv () tera ics keio ac jp>
Date: January 9, 2007 7:41:16 PM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Winny Defense Breaches

Dave, for IP if you wish...

Winny, the popular Japanese file sharing program, has been linked to at
least 27 cases of data exposure from the GSDF (Ground Self-Defense
Forces) since 2002. According to sources, no classified data has been
compromised.

Last February a big incident was discovered, which led the Defense
Agency (as of yesterday, upgraded to the Defense Ministry, giving it a
cabinet position for the first time since the war) to procure 56,0000
PCs to be used by SDF personnel. Why? Because they were using their home
PCs for SDF-related work, due to lack of access to computers at work.
Presumably it will be easier for them to prevent the installation of
software such as Winny on ministry-owned computers, though repeated
security breaches elsewhere via company-owned computers shows it to be
no panacea.

This is the same Winny whose author was recently convicted of knowingly
supporting piracy of music and movies, but as far as I know, these kinds
of data leaks are unintentional. I haven't followed the details of these
breaches, but I suspect it's mis-setting of the controls resulting in
accidental sharing, though it's also possible that there are security
holes in Winny itself.

                --Rod

http://rdvlivefromtokyo.blogspot.com/
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/national/20070109TDY01004.htm