Interesting People mailing list archives

IPhone TM

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 15:56:42 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jonathan <jonathan.sidhu () gmail com>
Date: January 10, 2007 3:46:05 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: For IP if you wish

Dave,

A couple of your readers have commented that Apple is in danger of trademark and/or copyright infrigement lawsuits over their use of the name 'iPhone'

CBS' Marketwatch reported yesterday that Apple and Cisco were already in the process of negotiating the sale of this trademark (although they reported again today that these talks haven't closed yet...)

Just an FYI, but one that may strike down one piece of misinformation out there.

From the piece,
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/apple-unwraps-iphone-macworld/ story.aspx?guid=%7bE5F71BEE-9873-4F52-A4D9-A6EAE4942D07% 7d&print=true&dist=printBottom

"The phone may be in production, but there's still a bit of major unfinished business remaining for Apple: getting permission from Cisco Systems Inc. It turns out that Cisco holds the trademark on "iPhone," the name Cisco's Linksys division gave to a wireless phone it introduced in mid-December.

According to Cisco, it and Apple have been through some extensive discussions recently, and "it is our belief that Apple intends to agree to the final document. We expect to receive a signed agreement today [Tuesday]," a Cisco statement said."

Thanks

Jonathan