Interesting People mailing list archives

FCC keeps digital audio flag on life support - won't kill it, won't require it either.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 19:12:49 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ethan Ackerman <eackerma () u washington edu>
Date: June 5, 2007 7:10:28 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: FCC keeps digital audio flag on life support - won't kill it, won't require it either.

Greetings Dave,

In a rule making released May 3st, the FCC reminded everyone that the
issue of copy-restriction flags in digital radio isn't quite dead,
just off the table for now.

After being reversed in court over the broadcast video flag, the FCC
has proceeded slowly on the "radio flag," but still hasn't ruled out
requiring one.  It released an Order (
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-07-33A1.pdf )
detailing several requirements for digital radio broadcast, but
declined to do anything about a digital audio flag at this time.

The money quote:
"On [the matter of a radio copy flag], we have been informed that
interested parties are attempting to resolve this issue through a
marketplace solution. We encourage this approach. Accordingly, we will
defer further action on this issue at this time."