Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Techdirt: Net Neutrality Debate Again Descends Into Shouting, Farce

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 14:06:37 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Kevin Werbach <kevin () werbach com>
Date: June 24, 2007 11:39:19 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: [IP] Re: Techdirt: Net Neutrality Debate Again Descends Into Shouting, Farce

Dave-

I'm the organizer of the Supernova conference, where the session in question took place. I'm at SFO waiting for my flight home, so I can't comment at length, but suffice it to say that characterizations of a "shouting match" and "farce" are exaggerated.

It was at times an intense discussion, in which both sides had strong views. But that's a healthy thing on such an important issue, and frankly, all too rare. Supernova is a chance to break out of the echo chambers that we often fall into, which is why I brought someone like John Kneuer, who is the head of NTIA at the Department of Commerce, to talk to a tech industry audience.

You can read a detailed account of John's presentation and the audience comments on our Conversation Hub site:

http://conversationhub.com/2007/06/22/day-1-john-kneuer-tech-policy- expert/

It did get emotional, but to his credit, John expressly welcomed the debate when audience members started criticizing his position. No one was prevented from expressing their views. It's disappointing to see this reported as a shouting match, when it was one of the more refreshingly direct interactions between opposing views in this area that I've seen in a while.

There are probably others on the list who were in the room, so they can comment as well if they like.

-k-

--
Kevin Werbach
Department of Legal Studies and Business Ethics, The Wharton School

** SUPERNOVA 2007 -- June 20-22 -- http://www.supernova2007.com  **