Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Re: cellphones on planes

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 14:58:51 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: George Dyson <gdyson () gmail com>
Date: March 25, 2007 1:37:21 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: cellphones on planes

No one would seek to ban *conversations* on planes, trains, or in restaurants. What makes other people's cell phone conversations so objectionable is that you only hear *one* side of the conversation. Human beings are highly adapted--from caves to cocktail parties--to automatically filter out conversations that we are not part of. But when you hear only one side of a conversation, it immediately distracts your attention; you are constantly forced to keep parsing the words and figure out "Is that person talking to me?" That's what makes them so irritating. If not banned altogether, cellphones should only be allowed in speaker phone mode. Of course, this would also remind users that their conversations are not as private as it seems when you are holding the phone up to your own ear alone.

Archives: http://v2.listbox.com/member/archive/247/@now