Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Not so fast, broadband providers tell big users

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 11:16:18 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: March 15, 2007 9:59:56 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Monty Solomon <monty () roscom com>, Andrew Burnette <acb () acb net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Not so fast, broadband providers tell big users

Ms. Lee is either running continuous p2p traffic, or has a completely
infested machine (not implausible, I've seen infected machines
generate as much as 40Mbps at a time).

And that is one place where providers could not only free up some
bandwidth, but could spare the rest of us the ongoing flood of abuse.
Just blocking outbound port 25 connections would provide substantial
relief -- locally (and elsewhere), >90% of inbound spam is coming
from zombie'd systems on broadband providers.

(Yes, I know it's a band-aid, and yes, I know it breaks the end-to-end
connectivity principle here, but we're getting pummeled and it's the best fix we have...because nobody seems ready, willing, and able to secure the
huge number of zombie'd systems out there and keep them that way.)

I wonder how much *other* traffic falls into the category of "abusive",
e.g., ssh brute-force probes, DoS attacks, etc.

---Rsk

Archives: http://v2.listbox.com/member/archive/247/@now