Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Extending copyright to last forever?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 17:16:56 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Levine <johnl () iecc com>
Date: May 20, 2007 4:20:12 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Extending copyright to last forever?

I don't know if he's really serious or merely some sort of agent
provocateur trying to whip people into a frenzy,

Oh, I'm sure he's serious.  There have always been authors whining
that it's soooo unfair that their copyright expires after N years, cue
the violins for the destitute authors' widows and tiny starving
children.  Mark Twain was a notable example.

As soon as he offers to start paying royalties to the heirs of Lewis
Carroll, Shakespeare, Aeschylus, and everyone else whose works are in
the public domain, I'll consider treating him as something other than
a shill for the RIAA and MPAA.

R's,
John