Interesting People mailing list archives

Devices Enforce Cellular Silence, Sweet but Illegal Side tone and cell phones --

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 14:58:18 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Paul Baran" <paul () baran com>
Date: November 4, 2007 11:36:46 AM EST
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] Re: Devices Enforce Cellular Silence, Sweet but Illegal

Hi Dave:
Remember good old “side tone”? Back in your Bell Lab days Dave, remember when wired telephones were designed to leak a sample of signal from the microphone back to the earphone to assure the user that he or she was being heard at the other end. If you spoke too loudly you heard yourself and automatically then spoke more softly. This acoustic feedback reduced the dynamic range of signals the phone system had to handle, and people rarely shouted into their wired telephones. It was win-win for all.

With cellular telephones the speaker and microphone tend to be close together, so implementing side tone is more difficult than in a conventional wired telephone. (The feedback could cause a loud squeal.) But, today we have wonderful signal processing in a small chip area that could address this issue. The underlying assumption is some cellphone users shout thinking they will not otherwise be heard clearly. If so, then, requiring acoustic feedback in cellphones would encourage them to speak more softly -- as the sound of their own voice otherwise would be so loud as to be uncomfortable. Might this allow us to instill a little politeness into some cellphone users, without having to do so in an impolite manner?

What do you think, Dave?
Paul

Paul , I completely agree.  On All Things Considered, December 15, 2004
(http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4229967)

on a program titled "What's behind the shouting on cell phones" I suggested the same path to alleviate the problem.

Dave