Interesting People mailing list archives

The Economic Consequences of Mr. Bush

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 05:19:49 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: dewayne-net [mailto:dewayne-net () warpspeed com] On Behalf Of Dewayne
Hendricks
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2007 2:12 AM
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] The Economic Consequences of Mr. Bush

[Note:  This item comes from friend Esme Vos.  DLH]

The Economic Consequences of Mr. Bush
The next president will have to deal with yet another crippling legacy
of George W. Bush: the economy. A Nobel laureate, Joseph E. Stiglitz,
sees a generation-long struggle to recoup.
by Joseph E. Stiglitz December 2007
<http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2007/12/bush200712?printable=tr
ue&currentPage=all

The American economy can take a lot of abuse, but no economy is
invincible. Illustration by Edward Sorel.

When we look back someday at the catastrophe that was the Bush
administration, we will think of many things: the tragedy of the Iraq
war, the shame of Guantánamo and Abu Ghraib, the erosion of civil
liberties. The damage done to the American economy does not make front-
page headlines every day, but the repercussions will be felt beyond
the lifetime of anyone reading this page.

I can hear an irritated counterthrust already. The president has not
driven the United States into a recession during his almost seven
years in office. Unemployment stands at a respectable 4.6 percent.
Well, fine. But the other side of the ledger groans with distress: a
tax code that has become hideously biased in favor of the rich; a
national debt that will probably have grown 70 percent by the time
this president leaves Washington; a swelling cascade of mortgage
defaults; a record near-$850 billion trade deficit; oil prices that
are higher than they have ever been; and a dollar so weak that for an
American to buy a cup of coffee in London or Paris—or even the Yukon—
becomes a venture in high finance.

And it gets worse. After almost seven years of this president, the
United States is less prepared than ever to face the future. We have
not been educating enough engineers and scientists, people with the
skills we will need to compete with China and India. We have not been
investing in the kinds of basic research that made us the
technological powerhouse of the late 20th century. And although the
president now understands—or so he says—that we must begin to wean
ourselves from oil and coal, we have on his watch become more deeply
dependent on both.

Up to now, the conventional wisdom has been that Herbert Hoover, whose
policies aggravated the Great Depression, is the odds-on claimant for
the mantle “worst president” when it comes to stewardship of the
American economy. Once Franklin Roosevelt assumed office and reversed
Hoover’s policies, the country began to recover. The economic effects
of Bush’s presidency are more insidious than those of Hoover, harder
to reverse, and likely to be longer-lasting. There is no threat of
America’s being displaced from its position as the world’s richest
economy. But our grandchildren will still be living with, and
struggling with, the economic consequences of Mr. Bush.
Remember the Surplus?

The world was a very different place, economically speaking, when
George W. Bush took office, in January 2001. During the Roaring 90s,
many had believed that the Internet would transform everything.
Productivity gains, which had averaged about 1.5 percent a year from
the early 1970s through the early 90s, now approached 3 percent.
During Bill Clinton’s second term, gains in manufacturing productivity
sometimes even surpassed 6 percent. The Federal Reserve chairman, Alan
Greenspan, spoke of a New Economy marked by continued productivity
gains as the Internet buried the old ways of doing business. Others
went so far as to predict an end to the business cycle. Greenspan
worried aloud about how he’d ever be able to manage monetary policy
once the nation’s debt was fully paid off.

[snip]