Interesting People mailing list archives

Announcement of 11-27-07 E-mail Law and Policy Conference in NYC

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 10:01:38 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jonathan Ezor <jezor () tourolaw edu>
Date: October 30, 2007 4:11:46 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: For IP: Announcement of 11-27-07 E-mail Law and Policy Conference in NYC

To the IP List:

I am writing to invite you to a conference I am chairing in New York City on Tuesday, November 27th, 2007, and to ask whether you could get the word out
to anyone you think would find it of value.

The Touro Law Center Institute for Business, Law and Technology is presenting a half-day conference entitled "When Spam isn't Spam: An Unfiltered Look at
Self-Regulation and the Law Behind E-mail."  Up to 3 hours of CLE credit
(including 1 ethics hour) are available for attorneys attending the
conference, but non-lawyers and students will find much worthwhile
information as well. (Please note that this is the rescheduled conference
originally set for this past April.)

The event seeks to educate legal and business professionals in every industry
about the laws and rules surrounding e-mail and spam, including;

* marketing via e-mail without spamming,
* what to do if your e-mail is blocked,
* protecting your users and customers from
spam, and
* why being legal is not enough.

Speakers at the event include Matt Leonard, CIPP and Ponemon Institute
(http://www.ponemon.org) fellow; Adam Z. Solomon of The Lustigman Firm
(http://www.lfirm.com); Brett Glass, computer journalist and founder of ISP Lariat.net (http://www.lariat.net); Neil Schwartzman, Manager of Compliance &
ISP Relations for Return Path (http://www.returnpath.com) (who will
substitute for the unavailable Matt Blumberg); and Andrew H. Lupu, attorney and former Chief Privacy Officer of CA. The IP List's own Prof. David Farber of Carnegie Mellon, world-renowned expert in technology policy, will give the
keynote address.

A PDF of the conference brochure is available at:

<http://www.tourolaw.edu/cle/cle_program_schedule/PDFs/WhenSpamIsntSpam_Novem
ber27.pdf>

or, if that URL is too long and doesn't work properly:

<http://tinyurl.com/yp8cq9>

I would greatly appreciate it if you could distribute it to your colleagues
and communities, and/or otherwise let them know about the event.  If you
would prefer print brochures, please let me know how many you need and we
will send them out to you as soon as possible.  Online registration is
available at http://www.tourolaw.edu, under Continuing Legal Education.

I really appreciate anything you can do to help publicize our conference, and I look forward to welcoming you and your colleagues to the event on November
27th.  {Jonathan}
Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
Assistant Professor of Law and Technology
Director, Institute for Business, Law and Technology (IBLT)
Touro Law Center
225 Eastview Drive, Central Islip, NY  11722
Direct: 631-761-7119  Fax: 516-977-3001
e-mail: jezor () tourolaw edu