Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: AT&T: Internet to hit full capacity by 2010

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 06:40:09 -0700

From: Patrick W. Gilmore [patrick () ianai net]
Sent: Friday, April 18, 2008 11:11 PM
To: David Farber
Cc: Patrick W. Gilmore
Subject: Re: [IP] AT&T: Internet to hit full capacity by  2010

"In three years' time, 20 typical households will generate more
traffic than the entire Internet today."   Jim Cicconi, vice
president of legislative affairs for AT&T.

The largest link currently available anywhere is 40 Gbps.  The
Internet is more than 800 Gbps (20 x 40 Gbps).  There are individual
networks pushing more traffic than that today.

The IEEE & industry is trying to finish the 100 Gbps ethernet
standard.  Current estimates are 2010 for general availability.  Even
assuming we could get 100 Gbps to the home at the same time we get it
into the core, which is obviously impossible, there is still more than
2 Tbps of traffic on the network today.

This is not FUD.  There is no fear, uncertainty, or doubt about Mr.
Cicconi's statement.  Anyone with even a modicum of understanding
about the Internet knows his statements are so far off they're not
even wrong.

--
TTFN,
patrick