Interesting People mailing list archives

: how does one define "capacity"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 08:30:31 -0700

From: Joe Touch [touch () ISI EDU]
Sent: Monday, April 21, 2008 9:39 AM
To: David Farber
Cc: ip
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:  how does one define "capacity"

Hi, Dave,

From: Bob Frankston [Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com]
Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2008 5:39 PM
To: 'Craig Partridge'; David Farber
Subject: RE: how does one define "capacity"

Information is a complex concept.

Shannon (and I) would disagree.

What is the measure we are using
for capacity? Are bits the correct measure or is the measure
something as vague as "entertainment value".

This confuses information with semantics, which Shannon took pains to
decouple for a reason.

When I hear someone tell me what is possible – what the capacity is –
I want to be able to say “let me try”. Today I have to limit myself to a
choice of offerings from those who are afraid to try lest their business
model collapses.

Perhaps what is being asked is "what is utility of a given capacity",
i.e., "what can you do with a bit"? Granted, that direction may be more
interesting for some, but it's also - like meaning - relative and
arguable for any definition. Information capacity is, fortunately, not.

Joe